Monday, May 23, 2011

Offering honest advice: the client reaction

There certainly is nothing like bearing ones' soul and being honest with how you perceive a project is going. The reaction a client has to their Architect offering advice can run the entire DSM 4 (that's a reference manual for mental illness, so you know). Many clients take it for what it was offered and appreciate the advice, some react a bit differently...

No matter how old I get I at least will have comfort that I am just a young, uninformed and naive architect who cannot fathom the depths of my clients. Forget that in those cases the client takes offense where there was none and offers their offensive response. You can take it personally or just file it as a life lesson and move ever forwards.

One particular client who displayed borderline violent behavior towards his wife at each meeting was shocked and felt compelled to "put me in my place" by assuming the parental role in regards to my services. That might fly at home but it sure isn't going to at the office. I was nice, I was polite. The mark of a better person is to know it isn't about being "right" or being "on top". When this happens I find it disappointing because the client either didn't get it or didn't want to get it.

In the end, some clients listen, some don't. Each reaps the results of their choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment