Saturday, April 23, 2011

Getting Past the Past and Rebuilding....

It's been a while since my last visit. LinkedIn has been a great way to connect with other like-minded Architects. I have noticed an increase in client leads since February and I hope that the trend continues.

The past for me has been one of a constant struggle to keep just about a dozen balls in the air at the same time: business, family, marriage (yes, they are different! More later.) and finances operating. My wife has been the most patient person (okay, she has fired several rounds over my bow to let me know I'm not doing what I need to do) with the last, what? 8 years of my practice? It's not easy to stay in a place that doesn't have the best social network, schools, etc and have to struggle to pay the bills constantly.

Each and every time the "big job" is about to come through, we see it slip another 6, 9, 24 months down the road if not just falling out. If it weren't for BOTH of our stubbornness, we would have quit a long time ago. How many times are you knocked down, only to get back up to keep going?

This recession has really put many things to the test. Since late 2008 we have seen a major shift in workload and potential projects. Despite this challenge we have also managed to stay afloat, tighten our belts and keep going.

Work wiser. Learn from your mistakes and the mistakes of others. What doesn't kill you will make you stronger. Boy, I hope that's true!

No comments:

Post a Comment