Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Getting into an office

I spent about a year at the house on Oak Street with an office in Richard's future bedroom. With him on the way, it was time to move forward with renovations at our current studio space. It was a big financial commitment and still is, however it is part of a longer-term plan to develop the practice and have a place for clients to visit and grow the business.

The idea was to have enough space to expand, adapt and be able to do things that I couldn't do before. No more climbing over someone else to get to my drafting table. The studio is housed in a building bought from the City for back taxes. The first comment made to me was to just "clean up the first floor" and open my office. Have you seen the place?? I wouldn't bring my worst enemy in the door looking like it was. No, the client must see an example of what could be done. So began the renovations. There are times I still cannot believe what has been accomplished. A complete gutting of a ruined 3-story building and reconstruction of our studio space.
Here is what it was on the first floor during demolition. A dark hole. Now we have a bright space for clients to visit and enjoy.
As always it is a work in progress.







No comments:

Post a Comment